§2541. Classified and unclassified service
A. The classified service shall comprise every position, except those included in the unclassified service, to which the right of employee selection, appointment, supervision, and discharge is vested in the government of the municipality, parish or fire protection district as the case may be, under which the fire or police service functions, or in an officer or employee thereof, and which has as its primary duty and responsibility one of the following:
1. The chief and assistant chiefs; the intradepartmental division, bureau, squad, platoon and company officers of the fire and police department.
2. Fire fighting and police.
3. Fire prevention; inspection.
4. Driving, tillering and operation of fire apparatus.
5. Operation and maintenance of radio, fire alarm or signal system.
6. Fire and police department instructors in employee training.
7. Fire salvage and overhauling services, and first aid.
8. Automotive or fire and police apparatus repairs, if such service is operated exclusively by and for the fire and police department.
9. Secretary to the chief and departmental records clerk.
B. The unclassified service shall comprise the following:
1. All officers, employees and positions of employment in the municipal, parish or fire protection district government not having as a principal duty one of the duties hereinabove provided in the classified service.
2. Officers elected by popular vote and persons appointed to fill vacancies in elective offices.
3. Secretaries, stenographers and all clerical positions not specifically included in the classified service.
4. Janitors, porters, elevator operators, chefs, kitchen helpers and workers, mechanic's helpers, car washers, unskilled labor or any part-time or temporary employee.
5. Any position of employment, the duties of which are included in the classified service, to which the right of employee selection, appointment, supervision and discharge is vested in and with those other than the municipal, parish or fire protection district government or an officer or employee thereof.
Acts 1964, No. 282, §1.