Senate Committee on Education
May 15, 2014
John J. Hainkel, Jr. Room
= already considered.
= currently being considered.
= not yet considered.
**Click on an instrument for additional information. Click on an author for the author's home page.
CALL TO ORDER
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
May 8, 2014
LEGISLATION TO BE CONSIDERED
- Requests the LHSAA to study current practices of member schools concerning the awarding of athletic letters, jackets, patches, and other indicia to student athletes who are members of a team for at least three years during high school.
- Provides relative to the evaluation of teachers and administrators. (gov sig) (OR INCREASE GF EX See Note)
- Provides for K-12 student data privacy. (8/1/14) (OR +$651,000 SD EX See Note)
- Provides relative to charter school funding. (7/1/14)
- Provides relative to instruction on dating violence in public schools (EN INCREASE LF EX See Note)
- Provides relative to employment contracts for school employees being promoted or employed in a position of higher salary
- Provides for fox pens as part of Louisiana's folklife heritage
- Provides relative to eligibility criteria for admission or readmission to a public school and prohibits the denial of admission or readmission based on certain characteristics (EN SEE FISC NOTE GF EX See Note)
- Prohibits the inclusion of test scores of a student who has excessive absences in the value-added model or in other measures of student growth for purposes of teacher evaluations
- Prohibits the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education from authorizing charter schools under certain circumstances (EG SEE FISC NOTE LF EX)
- Requires instruction on child assault awareness and prevention in public schools (EN INCREASE LF EX See Note)
- Provides relative to the parent petition process for removing a school from the jurisdiction of the Recovery School District and returning such school to the local school system (EG SEE FISC NOTE LF EX)
- Provides relative to greetings and displays associated with traditional celebrations in winter in public schools
- Provides relative to the powers of local public school boards and superintendents with respect to extended sick leave for school bus drivers, teachers, and school employees
- Provides relative to requirements for the recruiting, employing, and training of charter school employees
CONSIDERATION OF ANY OTHER MATTERS THAT MAY COME BEFORE THE COMMITTEE