Skip Navigation Links
      CHC 681     


Art. 681.  Dispositional alternatives

A.  In a case in which a child has been adjudicated to be in need of care, the child's health and safety shall be the paramount concern, and the court may do any of the following:

(1)  Place the child in the custody of a parent or such other suitable person on such terms and conditions as deemed in the best interest of the child including but not limited to the issuance of a protective order pursuant to Article 618.

(2)  Place the child in the custody of a private or public institution or agency.

(3)  Commit a child found to have a mental illness to a public or private institution for persons with mental illness.

(4)  Grant guardianship of the child to a nonparent.

(5)  Make such other disposition or combination of the above dispositions as the court deems to be in the best interest of the child.

B.  A child in need of care shall not be committed to the Department of Public Safety and Corrections, nor shall such department accept a child in need of care.

Acts 1991, No. 235, §6, eff. Jan. 1, 1992; Acts 1999, No. 449, §1, eff. July 1, 1999; Acts 2011, No. 128, §1; Acts 2014, No. 811, §33, eff. June 23, 2014.

If you experience any technical difficulties navigating this website, click here to contact the webmaster.
P.O. Box 94062 (900 North Third Street) Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70804-9062